River cruising is booming! In fact it’s the fastest growing type of cruise holiday out there. A raft of new ships have been built over recent years, many bringing state of the art facilities and a luxury lifestyle to the river banks of the world.
The choice of rivers and ports of call are as wide as they’ve ever been. Firm favourites like the Danube, Rhine and Rhone are being joined by other European river itineraries along the Douro in Portugal, the Moselle flowing through Northern France, Luxembourg and Germany and the Gironde and Dordogne in South West France.
Further afield there are many other great waterways to explore from the mighty Mekong and Yangtze rivers in the Far East, the spiritual Ganges in India, the tropical Amazon running through South America and the Snake, Columbia and Mississippi Rivers in the USA. Despite recent problems in Egypt The Nile is also regaining its position as one of the world’s great river destinations.
So is river cruising for you? Here are our top five reasons to choose a river cruise:
- Watch the world go by…. Daytime sailings and no inside cabins mean you’ll enjoy uninterrupted views all the way.
- So much is included…. As well as accommodation, full-board dining and drinks packages, many river cruises also now include daily excursions.
- Smooth sailing… A river cruise is perfect if you’re worried about sea sickness as choppy seas are never a problem.
- Intimate experience… Most river cruise boats hold no more than 250 passengers so it’ll never feel overcrowded.
- Let the destination come to you… See multiple places in a short space of time and sail right into the heart of each port of call.